Anyone who has spent time taking long, leisurely strolls on Mauna Kea Beach or watched the sun set over Kauna’oa Bay knows a special tranquility that only comes from experiencing what was also the favorite spot of nature-lover Lawrence Rockefeller, who choose this location on which to build the first luxury hotel on the Kohala Coast in 1965.
Fun Facts about the Mauna Kea Resort:
- Mauna Kea Beach, a glorious white-sand beach bordering the quarter-mile long Kauna’oa Bay, has been voted “Best Beach in the World” twice by Conde Nast Traveler and “One of the Top Ten Beaches in the World” by National Geographic magazine.
- Hapuna Beach, another glorious white-sand beach on the Mauna Kea Resort, was also voted “Best Beach in the World” by Conde Nast.
- Mauna Kea’s signature drink is called the “Fredrico”. An ice blend of pineapple, passion fruit, guava and orange juices, rum, Jack Dianeils and a splash of grenadine.
- Over 1600 eclectic pieces of art from the Pacific Rim, Polynesia and Asia are displayed throughout the resort.
- The Pavilion Wine Bar (located within the famous Manta Restaurant) is an “evolution of oenology, called the Enomatic Wine Experience.” An innovative way to sample 48 distinctive wines, selected from new trends and the latest stars from various vintners, the Enomatic is just one highlight of The Mauna Kea resort’s new, extensive wine program.
- The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel celebrated its 50th birthday in 2015 with months of special events, remembrances and a special orchid drop on Mauna Kea beach.
The Mauna Kea Resort comprises two separate entrances, two hotels (the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel and the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel), two golf courses, as well as a few hundred privately-owned residences and condominiums within the following residential communities:
- Bluffs at Mauna Kea (22 single-family homes/sites)
- Kauna’oa at Mauna Kea (28 single-family homes/sites and 20 luxury town homes)
- Villas at Mauna Kea (40 villas)
- Fairways North at Mauna Kea (32 single-family homes/sites)
- Fairways South at Mauna Kea (25 single-family homes/sites)
- High Bluffs at Mauna Kea (9 single-family homes/sites)
- Moani Heights (17 single-family homes)
- ‘Apa’apa’a Heights (6 single-family homes)
- Kumulani (40 condominiums)
- Wai’ula’ula at Mauna Kea (104* condos, duplexes and single-family homes)
* additional single-family homes and duplexes are currently under construction
This is an exciting time at Mauna Kea, with loads of recently implemented as well as in-the-works improvements! Feel free to contact me if you would like to hear about resort improvements, market updates and real estate offerings.